Sunday, September 21, 2014

Full Cosplay Log: Princess Garnet





I am still alive and kicking it~! So how about I give another cosplay / theorycraft log? This time it is none other than the one character that stuck with me as a child, Princess Garnet til Alexandros XVII from Final Fantasy IX.


Garnet til Alexandros is a princess from the kingdom of Alexandria that later joins Zidane in his adventures. Since she is a princess and a magic user, I had to make sure the materials I choose fits the role.

It's Too Dangerous to Go Out! You'll Need the Following:
  1. Wig/Extensions
  2. Dress
  3. Accessories/Trinkets
Wig

There was no wig involved for Garnet because my hair was long enough to recreate it. However, I bought clip on fringe/bangs to recreate the look.



The Pretty Dress 



I would be lying if I said this was gonna be an easy costume. The bodice, skirt drapes and the grand skirt is what this dress is comprised of. To give it a royal look, I used mostly bridal satin and blue crepe (for the grand skirt).

Most importantly, the 6 hooped hoopskirt is what holds the shape of the dress and give it that full look.


Bodice Top and the Skirt drapes



The bodice was from Buttrick's B5731 pattern from Prince William and Princess Kate's wedding. Though I modified it to have a seam in the center just like in the cutscenes. The skirt drapes are self drafting I did on my mannequin with the bodice on. The clear straps are there as an back up in case it slipped off (but you can photoshop it later~!) The fabric choice for this part was bridal satin with white lining to contrast the light bluish skirt later on. Afterwards, it was embroidered on by hand using the split stitch method.

A Grand Skirt for a Princess



I consider this part to be the most difficult since trailing skirts eats up ALOT of fabric. Instead of using the white lining I used on the bodice, I use cornflower blue crepe fabric under the bridal satin in order to recreate that bluish look. The pattern is still Buttrick's B5731 though modified for the split front. Finally, I added the Fleur-de-lis by using the same freezer paper technique I used from my Princess Peach dress. Simply grab your design, trace on the paper side (not the shiny side!), cut with exacto blade, iron onto fabric, paint inwards, wait for it to dry, and peel it off! 

(optional: Odin summon)

Accessories/Trinkets



Crown


Surprisingly, the crown was very light considering its complexity. It started off with a craft foam base with hot glue for the details. The "roses" was sculpted like actual roses than the game art cause I want it to be as elegant as it should be. It was later coated with epoxy resin for durability.

Belt

Another product of my artistic liberty here. The dangly bits are made from Fimo Clay but the center piece was fun to work with. It was a combination of a thick board base, green resin gem I made, hot glue for the borders, and sculpted clay roses. It was later weathered for an aged look.

Falcon Claw Pendant

I would call this one my pride and joy in cosplay accessory crafting. I sculpted a clay model of the pendant, mixed a silicone rubber mold cast from it, and produced a resin cast pendant that looked exactly like the game/artwork. I later drilled a hole through it to loop in the necklace chain. The crown topper was comprised of craft foam and Sculpey clay that's been coated in resin.

"Gloves" and Arm Jewelry 

The "gloves" are basically sleeves I self drafted from my arms and hand embroidered like my dress. The arm jewelry was simply craft foam with resin and topped with a resin gem.


I hope you guys enjoyed this cosplay progress/theorycrafting log. See you again on my next log~!

No comments:

Post a Comment